Legal & Mediation Counsel.
PREVENTION FOR CLIENTS
- Prevents asset loss by clearing titles so homeowners can participate in rehab loan programs and other revitalization efforts
- Prepares last wills and testaments directing how their property will be distributed upon their death
- Heirs property owners need a last will and testament even if they only own a fractional interest to avoid compounding the problem
- Prepares advanced directives for healthcare and financial powers of attorney
Prevention for Communities
- Educates community leaders, stakeholders and faith-based groups about heirs property and its potential impact on owners and their communities
- Conducts title audits for neighborhoods with extensive blight
- Positions communities to apply for and effectively utilize funding for redevelopment and historic preservation projects
- Works with local governments and nonprofits to provide early intervention services
The Center, in collaboration with pro bono volunteers, has prepared 41 simple and complex wills for low to moderate income individuals and has completed 30 estate plans for clients. The Center is also working on estate plans for an additional 7 clients.